Full Version: Post Crash Resurrection of my Cat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In 2017, my youngest son was riding my YZF home from college one day and got distracted on the interstate by a golf cart that had come off of a trailer and was causing traffic to slow down.  He was looking at the golf cart as he passed by, and did not see the car in front of him come to a complete stop.  He braked hard, but still hit hard.
Being an ATGATT rider, he was not injured, save for a few scratches on his back because his jacket did not Zip to his leather overpants.

I was able to retrieve the bike on a trailer myself to avoid towing fees.
It had a small flat spot on the rear tire

The forks were bent, plastics were broken and rashed, lights and mirrors trashed, fairing stay bent, and subframe twisted. 

I think he was blessed to walk away.

The bike owed me nothing.  It had paid for itself twice over in the time that I had it because I bought it to save me gas money on my daily commute.  It saved me around $2,000 per year and I only paid $2,500 for it.
So, I wasn't mad at all.  We both were sad, of course.  But I saw the damage as being light and repairable, for me.
A couple of years went by as I struggled with eye problems and other projects.  
Finally, in 2019, we started in on the restoration.  It only had 123,000 miles on it, so why not?  What was there to lose?  Wink
Thanks to the awesome YZF600R community, I was able to round up the parts that I needed at "friend" prices during the 2018 Annual Gap Meet.  I then waited until it the 2019 Gap Meet was only weeks away to start on it.  LOL.
Doug tore the bike down and cleaned it, while rebuilt the new-to-me forks with my Sonic Springs and new seals.


Sadly, I couldn't salvage the stickers.  Sad

The stem was bent, as well.  Had to order a good used one on eBay.

I used an exhaust extension for a seal driver.

New Road 5 tire

More cleaning and disassembly.
Getting the twist out of the subframe went easily once I figured out the setup.  LOL  Watch the video and try not to chuckle.  Big Grin 

With the subframe straight, the next trick was to realign the front fairing support.  I used leverage and worked slowly and carefully.  It was a matter of trial and test.  Over and over until the front fairing fit like a glove without any strain on the plastic.  It took hours.

After that, came the rest of the fairings.  Rounding up all of the fasteners slowed me down, because I had given away my rashed plastics without realizing that the replacements were missing the clip nuts.  Rolleyes 
They sure are pretty, though.  These were OE and in excellent condition.  Rockon

The front fairing was removed again so that I could add the headlight and reinstall it one last time.  Then came the rest of the bodywork.
With the Gap Meet drawing near, I found myself working long hours on this project.  I had to have the YZF together for the 15th Annual meet.  Wink 


We made it!  Here it is at the Gap Meet!!  My battery was going bad, causing a bit of rough running, but it lasted just long enough.  It was a sweet reward for all of the effort.
that was a good read. thanks for the share
Thanks. I don't know why I didn't post that at the time.

Maybe it will help someone else see that it is a reasonable repair on a YZF600R because of the steel frame.

I'm sure there's other ways to untwist a subframe, too.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk